1. Fill the spaces in the following sentences
by inserting must or the present, future, or past form of have to.
She _________________ leave home at eight o'clock every morning
2. Notice in a picture gallery: Cameras, sticks and umbrellas
left at the desk.
3. He sees very badly; he ________________ wear glasses all the
4. I ________________do all the typing at my office.
5. You ________________ read this book. It's really excellent.
6. The children ________________ play in the streets till their
mothers get home from work.
7. She felt ill and ____________________ leave early.
8. Mr Pitt ________________ cook his own meals. His wife is away.
I hadn't enough money and I ____________________ pay by cheque.
I never remember his address; I always ___________________ look it
11. Employer: You _______________ come to work in time.
12. If you go to a dentist with a private practice
you _________________ pay him quite a lot of money.
13. Father to small son: You ________________ do what mummy says.
14. My neighbour's child ___________________ practise the piano for
three hours a day.
15. Doctor: I can't come now. Caller: You _________________ come;
he's terribly ill.
2. Use must not or need not to fill the spaces
in the following sentences.
1. You ______________ ring the bell;
I have a key.
2. Notice in the cinema: Exit
doors _________________ be locked during performances.
3. You __________________ drink this: it
4. We __________________ drive fast; we
have plenty of time.
5. You _________________ drive fast;
there is a speed limit here.
6. Candidates ________________ bring
books into the examination room.
7. You __________________ write to him
for he will be here tomorrow
8. We __________________ make any noise
or we'll wake the baby.
9. You _________________ bring an
umbrella. It isn't going to rain.
10. You ________________ do all the
exercise. Ten sentences will be enough.
11. We _________________ reheat the pie.
We can eat it cold.
12. Mother to child: You ________________ tell lies.
13. You _________________ strike a match; the
room is full of gas.
14. You _________________ turn the light; I
can see quite well.
15. You __________________ talk to other
candidates during the exam.
3. Fill the spaces in the following sentences by
using MUST/CAN'T/COULDN'T or NEEDN'T + the perfect infinitive of the verb in
Did you hear me come in last night? No, I ____________________ (be)
2. I wonder who broke the wineglass; it _______________________ (be) the cat
for she was out all day.
3. You _______________________ (help) him. (You helped him but he didn't
4. I had my umbrella when I came out but I haven't got it now. You
______________________ (leave) it on the bus.
5. He ______________________ (escape) by this window because it is barred.
6. I ______________________ (give) 10p. 5p would have been enough.
7. I saw a rattlesnake near the river yesterday.
You _____________________ (see) it. There aren't any rattlesnakes in this
8. He is back already. He _____________________ (start) very early.
9. He returned home with a tiger cub. His wife ______________________ (be)
very pleased about that.
I bought two bottles of milk. You ___________________ (buy) milk; we
have heaps in the house.
11. I phoned at nine this morning but got no answer. I'm sorry.
I ___________________ (be) in the garden.
12. I left my bicycle here and now it's gone.
Someone _____________________ (borrow) it.
13. She went to sleep in the park and when she woke up her watch had
vanished. Someone ____________________ (steal) it while she slept.
14. I've opened another bottle. You ____________________ (do) that, We've
only just started this one.
15. The machine said, "you weigh 65 kilos", and I said "Thank you". You
__________________ (say) anything.